Points of Pride
• 16 Ward Melville High School seniors were named 2014 National Merit Finalists and 23 seniors were named Commended Students in the National Merit Scholarship Program. Students receive these recognitions based on their SAT scores.
• Two Ward Melville High School students were named Intel Science Talent Search semifinalists in 2015.
• One Ward Melville High School senior was named a regional finalist and two were named semifinalists in the 2015 Siemens Competition in Math, Science and Technology.
• 26 Ward Melville High School students were named National AP Scholars, 122 were named AP Scholars with Distinction, 51 were named AP Scholars with Honor and 91 were named AP Scholars. Students are awarded these designations based on the number of AP exams they take and their average scores.
• A Ward Melville High School student won the 2014 Hofstra Celebration of Suburban Diversity essay contest.
• One Ward Melville High School senior won the National Gold Key Award and three students earned National Silver Awards in the 2015 Scholastic Art and Writing Contest.
• Two secondary students won the Emma S. Clark Library picture book contest and had their creations both bound and turned into e-books.
• A Ward Melville High School student had a book of poetry published.
• P.J. Gelinas and R.C. Murphy Junior High School Science Olympiad teams qualified to compete in the state championship.
• A P.J. Gelinas eighth-grader qualified to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
• A Ward Melville student was elected treasurer of the New York District Key Club.
• R.C. Murphy’s Science Bowl Team swept the regional competition and won a bid to compete nationally.
• To date, four high school teams were crowned Suffolk County champions, two teams were named Long Island champions and five individuals were named state champions.
• More than 50 Ward Melville High School seniors have completed the NCAA college recruitment process and will compete on teams for Division I, II and III teams this fall.
• Ward Melville girls and boys volleyball teams joined a county effort and raised thousands of dollars for the Dig Pink breast cancer organization.
HONORS IN THE ARTS
• 48 Ward Melville High School students were selected to perform at the 2014 NYSCAME/SCMEA All-County Music Festival, and 29 students were chosen for the 2014 NYSSMA All-State Music Festival.
• The Ward Melville Chamber Orchestra was selected to perform at the NYSSMA Winter Conference.
• A Ward Melville junior was selected to perform with the Metropolitan Youth Orchestra’s Suffolk Principal Orchestra.
• Eight students participated in the coveted Lang Lang 101 Pianists Program.
• A W.S. Mount kindergarten student was a winner in the New York State 2015 PTA Reflections Contest and advanced to the national
• Minnesauke art students earned top honors at the 2014 International Interdependence Hexagon Project Conference.
• A W.S. Mount fourth-grader joined the national tour of a Broadway production.
• The films of Ward Melville students debuted at the All-American High School Film Festival in Times Square.
• Hundreds of students were selected to participate in Suffolk County Music Educators Association and Long Island String Festival Association ensembles.
• Three teachers were named New York State Master Teachers.
• A Ward Melville teacher was named 2015 Distinguished Teacher by the Harvard Club of Long Island.